Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Seating Debacle

I just got back from the midnight showing of Baz Luhrmann's (my gosh I never realized how ridiculous the spelling of his last name is) The Great Gatsby.  This film was visually amazing and the style was extremely over the top, in a Gatsby way.  I mean it's Baz, so we all knew the visuals were going to blow us away.  Leo did such a phenomenal job as Gatsby.  From the moment he made his first appearance I was sold.  There were flaws yes.  For instance, I thought the way the framing of the story could have been better.  They put Nick in a mental institution and didn't really do a good job of justifying that.  There was a weird switch from him talking to someone about Gatsby to him writing about it, which I thought they should have just stuck with from the beginning.  Overall, I liked the film and recommend it to anyone it interests.

Midnight showings of movies are always exciting.  There's usually a full crowd where everyone is into the film.  I did not expect Gatsby to be as packed as it was, but sure enough those seats were full of people.  I don't know if I was more surprised at the amount of people or the fact that they were all under the age of 30!   My mom tagged along with my friends and I because she really wanted to see it, and somehow she was the oldest person there! I guess I underestimated the popularity of Gatsby or overlooked the obsession that is Leo.  It blew my mind, along with the fact that we were stuck in the third row of the movie theater!

One of my biggest pet peeves is being forced to sit really close to the screen at a movie theater.  You're neck starts to hurt after a while and it's just uncomfortable.  Plus God forbid you have to go to the bathroom or get a drink, the whole movie theater watches you leave.  I don't think I've ever met anyone who has liked sitting in the front for anything!  But there we were, stuck in the third row and I was not happy.  We should have gotten there earlier, but honestly we didn't think there would be a full house.  This is The Great Gatsby after all!  The thing that made it a little bit better was the fact that some people were forced to sit in front of us and we were not along in our suffering.  I really need to learn how to be early for these types of things, so I never have to sit in the third row again!

P.S. Is it bad that Gatsby's main butler reminded me of my friend's grandfather?

No comments:

Post a Comment